PLEASE PRINT, SIGN, AND SCAN TO EMAIL BACK TO info@ShekinahEcoVillage.com
WELCOME! Shekinah Eco-Village at White Hill welcomes you to share our stewardship over this special and beautiful piece of Mother Earth. Please enjoy your stay, and have a lot of fun. While you are here, you are on private property held in trust for the planet and sustainable, non-impacting lifestyles. Please remember this and observe the following:
1. The private community area is off limits unless a community member has specifically invited you there. Please respect the privacy of the permanent members.
2. Do not cut any living wood unless directed by a group leader, and follow the directions of the local community directors with respect to dead wood. Just because a tree is dead does not mean it does not have a place of honor and beauty. Likewise leave all rocks and minerals as you found them.
3. Do not harm the wildlife, including rodents, reptiles, and insects. There is no hunting allowed by guests.
4. Do not under any conditions light any fires in other than pre-existing fire pits. The trees are juniper and pine, take many years to grow, and burn very fast even when green. Smoking of any kind outside the designated structures is strictly prohibited.
5. This is a family friendly environment. There is no public nudity, lewd behavior, intoxication, profanity, or other such activities. Shekinah Eco-Village must approve firearms. Be courteous.
6. Stay on the marked paths, and in the designated campgrounds. The chaparral soil is very fragile, and the soil life, though not obvious to the general eye, is precious and takes a long time to recover. If you would like to explore, please ask a guide or community member where to see what.
7. If you are here as part of a work / educational excursion, honor that agreement and finish your duties as contracted before doing the fun stuff. If your only purpose in coming is to have fun at the expense of the community without contributing anything in return, you are invited to go elsewhere. This is not a public campground.
8. No illegal activity will be tolerated at any time. This includes underage drinking and tobacco use, as well as all illegal drugs at any age. Any illegal activity will be promptly reported to local law enforcement.
9. The gardens and greenhouses are privately held and harvested. If you are here as part of a green-housing project, and wish to share in the abundance, ask your proctor or the greenhouse coordinator, including Grow Utah First or Nourish, for permission and guidance.
10. Please stay with your group and eat in designated areas and at designated times. The kitchen areas are not for snacking unless this is part of the package you signed up for.
11. Entertainment is probably part of your package, so please enjoy yourself. The local residents and wildlife deserve their peace and quiet, so observe normal rules of conduct in social situations. All loud activities must cease between 10:00 PM and 7:00 AM weekdays, and midnight and 6:00 AM weekends.
12. All occupants of this site, no matter how temporary, must sign the attached waiver / hold harmless agreement and return it to the officer of the Open Mind Foundation for filing. This is a legally binding document and limits the liability of the OMF. If you do not understand any of it, get advice. If you do not agree with it, you are welcome to stay free of the property and go elsewhere.
Resident Full Membership Agreement
Shekinah Eco-Villages are intentional communities based on principles of sustainability, educational outreach, healthy living, natural healing, individual responsibility, cooperation, renewable energy and Perma-Culture ethics. We are dedicated to an earth-friendly, family-friendly environment through Commitment, Honor and Integrity.
Family Friendly – Our community will be conducive to raising children who are responsible, nurtured, mentally curious, and creative. The adults strive to model healthy behavior.
Personal Sovereignty - We support the principles of freedom. We take personal responsibility for our actions and our needs.
Work Ethic - We all work minimal community hours while valuing free time and the pursuit of personal empowerment.
Spirituality -We have no set religion or spiritual belief. Most have a Judeo-Christian background and a lot of us enjoy Native American or Eastern spiritual practices.
Sustainability - Our building practices, water usage, food production, and energy production aspire to a seven-generation model. We use the principles and practices of Perma-Culture.
Alternative Buildings – Buildings are various debt-free and earth friendly types that minimize the use of manufactured products: earthships, domes, rammed earth, cob, zip-kits etc.
Leadership - We strive for consensus, but accept decisions with an 80% majority if consensus cannot be reached.
Diet - Most of us are omnivorous with a few vegetarians, vegans and raw.
Relationships – Our community consists of families, couples and singles in a wholesome atmosphere. We value exclusive committed relationships.
Limitations - Our community is free of all illegal activities including drugs. We have no public drunkenness, public nudity, freeloaders, vulgarity, visible junk, and abusive behavior. Smoking and alcohol use is not allowed .
Conflict Resolution - We commit to constructively and peacefully working out our differences.
Shekinah Eco-Villages are sustainable, green, off–the-grid communities that nurture sovereign and responsible citizens. We are looking for mature, responsible people with skills of all types: teachers, builders, artists, professionals, healers, businessmen, musicians, craftsman, seamstresses and chefs, to name a few.
We envision a large community center surrounded by twelve to eighteen homes with a comparable number of guest homes nestled in the middle of ninety acres. The community center plans include a commercial kitchen, dining area, library, media center, rooms for guests, a healing center, craft room, playroom, wood shop, classrooms, and greenhouse. We envision a commercial site for businesses, storage sheds, a few farm animals and gardens of all kinds. Working together we can be free of so much: utility bills, mortgages, high food costs, ill health, and stress. We will have creative, fulfilling and personally sustaining work; living and working together, so that people's lives and work are integrated into a unified environment.
While most of us have a Judeo-Christian background, many incorporate other belief systems: Native American, Eastern and others. We are spiritual rather than religious, though individuals with a particular religion/belief system are supported.
The community offers workshops and wellness training devoted to health, joy and living sustainably. Using CHI to represent the spirit of our community our fundamental principles are Commitment, Honor and Integrity.
COMMITMENT: (agreement, pledge) Each adult commits to one to ten hours of community service a week on average, depending on Membership type. We uphold the principles and by-laws of Shekinah Eco-Village. We honor the living earth and commit to use only that which we need. While respecting individual needs, we minimize materialism and the habit of ever-increasing consumption that is common in the West today. We care for all life nonviolently and humanely.
HONOR: (revere or hold in high regard) We honor committed relationships between two people and strive to be good role models for the children. All members and guests on the property honor and respect other’s boundaries. We take responsibility for our actions. We reveal, not conceal our frustrations or problems with others in the community. We honor other members by working through challenges with honesty, insight and kindness. We honor personal sovereignty and acknowledge our responsibilities as citizens.
INTEGRITY: (adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character and honesty) Our word is our bond. If we say we will do something, we honor that commitment. We abide by the intent of the community documents and not just by the words and legalities. We fulfill our hours of service, and respect and truly care for others.
If you are a committed, honorable and integral person who would like to live in a sustainable community of spiritual, fun-loving and kind people, Safe Haven Village is the place for you. While part of our motivation for this community is to provide a refuge from possible civil meltdown, regardless, we aim to create the ideal sustainable community of the future.
I have read, understand and agree with the Mission Statement, Values, and Vision Statement. _______________ (initials)
HOLD HARMLESS AGREEMENT
Shekinah Eco-Village is pleased to offer a variety of activities in support of personal and group empowerment and sovereign living. These include, but are not exclusive to, green-housing, sweat lodges, instructional and work sessions in off grid living, entertainment, and personal hand’s-on healing work. Along with the intended healing and empowerment created by our activities comes a small potential for liability which we must, unfortunately, recognize and plan for. All activities carry a slight risk of physical and/or psychological trauma in spite of all our planning and safeguards. Hands-on healing work carries a risk as well, and for every large number of clients experiencing a healing transformation, a small number may have a negative experience; we cannot in conscience deny the positive experience for the many to protect the few with negative possibilities. And even group discussions and group meals positive to most attendees may prove inadvertently offensive to others or carry unforeseen risks.
Therefore, we must insist for our own protection and that of the attendees that all participants sign this waiver before participating in our activities. (Guardians must sign for minors.) Participants under a doctor’s care must submit a written doctor’s release.
I, ___________________________, state that I have no adverse medical conditions and am taking no medications that would preclude me from these activities. I agree to hold harmless , Shekinah Eco-Village, and any subsidiaries, officers, chattels, or designated partners for any damages, injuries, theft, or any other liabilities that may occur directly or indirectly as a result of these activities, including all legal fees and court costs, should such occur. I further recognize that the Shekinah Eco-Village is a Federally registered 501[C]3 non-profit organization in the public interest, and is required to meet regulatory requirements that supersedes any private business arrangements. Should a conflict of interest occur, Shekinah Eco-Village must defer to the Federal guidelines, and is held by me harmless for all potential indemnity that may be incurred thereby.
Date Guest or guardian (Circle)
Date (For Shekinah Eco-Villages)
Emergency Contact Name & Phone Number ______________________________
I understand and agree that I will be a part of the chore rotation while residing at Shekinah Eco-Village for any length of time. This will be in addition to any community or intern hours I agree to and is generally about thirty minutes a day. ___________ (initials)
My partner is also applying _______yes _________no _________n/a. If yes, their name ____________________
The following children or young adult should be considered a part of this application process:
______________________ name ____________age _______full time with me _________part time with me
______________________ name ____________age _______full time with me _________part time with me
Any special considerations or needs? ________________________________________________________
I would like to bring the following pet(s): type _________name _________age ____ length of time I have owned this pet ______will be restrained ____will roam freely (this is not likely to be approved) ____is considered a service animal ______ list any special needs or considerations of the animal___________________________________ (Use back of page if more children or pet space needed or you need more explanation space)
Full Membership. To become a full member, a person needs to be accepted by 80% of the membership committee and EACH ADULT applying agrees to a $1000 membership fee. A person must be 21 years of age in order to be a full member.
Resident Members take physical, cultural, and financial responsibility for developing our aspiring sustainable village — a decades-long, maybe lifelong, ecological and cultural project.
Resident Members have full decision-making rights in Council and committees.
Resident Members each commit to 100 hours a year. Resident Members can also have approved commercial businesses or agricultural projects on the property. Annual fees may apply if approved by 80% of the membership.
Membership Payment Plan Needed _______ YES ________ NO
IF YES: The by-laws require a minimum $250 down payment per person and then a payment plan for the remaining $750 toward the $1000 membership fee. My (Our) down payment amount is $__________. I (We) will pay _____ a month for _____ months with _____% interest in addition to the principal payment for a total monthly payment amount of $___________. I understand and agree that I must remain a member in good standing (ie fulfill my hours, honor the by-laws etc) for this agreement to remain in force. Should I choose to leave before thirty days, my membership is fully refundable; however, after thirty days all membership dues paid are non-refundable should I choose to leave. I understand that a signature by Shekinah Eco-Village is not an acceptance of membership and will be notified within thirty days of acceptance or not. If not approved all monies will be returned.
Agreed to this ________ day of ________, 2016
Printed Name (First, MI, Last) ____________________________________________________
Email #1: ______________________
Email: #2 ______________________
Phone #1: _____________________
Phone #2: _____________________
Office Use: Membership approved _________ Pet approved _______ Children approved ________ Partner approved ______Amount of membership fee with application ____________ cash ___ ck ___ other _____________ Person notified of acceptance/rejection/special conditions by ___________ (mail,, email) on _______ (date). If declined funds returned by ___________________________________ (ck, bank transfer, wire transfer ,never cashed)